Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Home Hazards That Can Affect Our Pets

Is your home safe for your Furr Kids? It might surprise you to know how many hazards there are in a typical home for the pets we love.
Most everyone is aware that anti-freeze, pest sprays, rat poison and the like should be kept where no pet can get to them. And many of us have heard about plants that are poison to our pets such as mistletoe, lilies and poinsettias.
But have you ever considered the following potential dangers to your pet?
1. Electrical cords; pets chewing on electrical cords can receive a potentially fatal shock. This is especially prevalent around the holidays when extension cords are often used.
2. Ingesting harmful foods; chocolate can be fatal to pets.
3. Worn out toys; toys that are worn or badly chewed can begin to fall apart and small pieces of them can be swallowed.
4. Garbage; pets that get into the garbage can may eat bones, coffee grounds, spoiled food, cigarette butts, etc.
5. Chemicals; pets may ingest cleanser, soap, bleach, mothballs, paint, pool chemicals, fertilizers, etc.
6. Medications; many medications intended for humans can be fatal to pets, as can nicotine gum.
7. Open clothes dryer doors; the dryer is a wonderfully warm spot for a cat to take a nap…make sure they can’t get inside.
Other things may not be as obvious as those listed above. I once had a kitten that, unknown to me, swallowed a needle and thread. My first indication was a lump I noticed on his throat. When I got him to the vet, x-rays were taken and the item removed. The kitten and I were both traumatized!
When you are using potentially dangerous tools like power saws, drills, etc., make sure your pet is confined to an area away from your work place. Is your ceiling fan running when your bird is flying free in the house?
Pets usually investigate things with their mouths, and there are many dangers in the average home. Take a look around your house and see just how safe it is for your Furr Kids. A quick check may save your pet from injury or death, and you from expensive vet bills!

1 comment:

  1. Congratulations on your great blog! We'd like to invite you to join our DogTime Blog Network.

    DogTime is the largest online community of animal lovers with nearly 8.2 million unique visitors per month and over 150 member sites across the pet category. Please visit www.Dogtime.com to learn more about our mission.

    As a DogTime Blog Star many more pet enthusiasts will see and read your blog and provide you with the opportunity to share your love of animals. Once the network is up and running (in the next week) there will also be an opportunity to qualify to make advertising revenue.

    Participation is simple, as we will use your existing RSS feed to feature your blog and posts. If you would like to participate simply reply to this email with the URL of your RSS feed.

    For more details about the benefits of participating in the DogTime Blog Network please refer to our FAQs here: http://dogtime.com/dogtime-blog-network-faq.html.

    Thanks, and we hope you Find Your Wag!

    Kind regards,

    Luisa Lapus Tiong
    DogTime Media, Inc.
    Tel (415) 830-9318
    Fax (415) 692-8171
    27 Maiden Lane, Suite 700
    San Francisco, CA 94108